Categories
Project

Blast Up

Project Information

PropertyValue
StartedJuly 1, 2020
EndedJuly 12, 2020
Time Spent70 hour(s)
StatusPublished
Project Linkhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.x22fe.blastup
Source Code Linkhttps://github.com/0x22fe
DescriptionA simple mobile game
Language(s)Java,XML

Blast Up is the first full project that I had ever published. It is on the Google Play store. Making the app taught me a lot about app development, and, even if it was a little stressful, it was a fun experience.

Unfortunately, I didn’t use any 3rd party libraries for graphics or physics, which meant I had to essentially make my own mini- physics, graphics, and audio engine. I also tried to rush it, which ended up being a big annoyance later on. As a result, the gameplay and game quality wasn’t the highest quality.


The biggest problem for me was the app signing/certificate process, which happened right at the point before I was due to publish. That alone took me a week and many hours spent on StackOverflow, and was easily one of the most frustrating times I’ve had with software development.

While I don’t consider this app to be up to my normal standards, I am happy that I was able to actually release it.

I have continuted to improve on the app. I made a new version, this time for iOS, called Blasty Rocket (you can find it on the projects page of this website). I am happy with its quality, and these projects give me hope that I can publish something better in the future.

Categories
Project

Everfall

Project Information

PropertyValue
StartedJuly 1, 2020
EndedJuly 12, 2020
Time Spent250 hour(s)
StatusCompleted
Project Linkhttps://0x22fe.com/project/everfall/
Source Code Linkhttps://github.com/0x22fe/Everfall
DescriptionA second attempt at a 3D game engine
Language(s)C++

Everfall was my second attempt at a 3D game engine (very ambitious, I know). I decided to re-make it in C++, a language I have been trying to learn it better.

It initially went well. I had a basic structure for the engine and its components this time, and I thought it would fare better. I also had learned how to better use the STL (C++ standard library), although I later learned that some game developers don’t like using it. Overall, I thought it would successful.

However, due to a lack of good, well-thought-out structure and software design, the project grew quickly out of hand. I didn’t think things through, and had to add new components in a really haphazard manner. Additionally, I kept on getting sidetracked working prematurely on certain parts of the engine, like networking.

Finally, after trying to revise and reorganize the code multiple times, I gave up and stopped working on the project. To date, it has been the largest project I have worked on – in complexity, time, and size.

Recently, I decided to try once more. I think I have learned enought to make a decent attempt at doing it successfully, and I have decided to integrate the ray-tracing code from another project of mine. After all, third time’s the charm, right? 🙂 Not anymore – I have combined this and other projects into a new one.

Categories
Project

Echo Force

Project Information

PropertyValue
StartedJuly 1, 2020
EndedJuly 12, 2020
Time Spent49 hour(s)
StatusCompleted
Project Linkhttps://0x22fe.com/project/echo-force/
Source Code Linkhttps://github.com/0x22fe/echo-force
DescriptionA 2D shooter game
Language(s)HTML,CSS,Javascript

Echo-Force is a simple 2D shooter game I made for the browser.

Categories
Project

Cubeolt

Project Information

PropertyValue
StartedJuly 1, 2020
EndedJuly 12, 2020
Time Spent50 hour(s)
StatusAbandoned
Project Linkhttps://0x22fe.com/project/cubeolt/
Source Code Linkhttps://github.com/0x22fe
DescriptionA 3D runner for iOS
Language(s)Swift

Cubeolt is a 3D runner game/app I made for iOS. I used the built-in 3D graphics library (SceneKit) to create a mini-game where you would travel as a cube in a moving world, navigating obstacles as they popped up. While this app remains unpublished, I may expand on it/release it in the future, or just release the source code.

Categories
Project

Blasty Rocket

Project Information

PropertyValue
StartedJuly 1, 2019
EndedJuly 12, 2020
Time Spent80 hour(s)
StatusCompleted
Project Linkhttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/blasty-rocket/id1468796726
Source Code Linkhttps://0x22fe.com/project/blasty-rocket/
DescriptionA simple 2D mobile game
Language(s)Lua

Blasty Rocket is the iOS version of an app I started in 2018 called Blast Up (on Android, currently published on the Google Play Store).